WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut – After claiming their first victory of the season in Eastern America last weekend, the Hartford volleyball team returns home to host UAlbany on Sunday. Hartford Volleyball Gym’s first service is 5 p.m.
MATCH 18 | HARTFORD HAWKS (3-14, 1-3 AE) vs. UALBANY GREAT DANES (7-11, 3-1 AE)
DATE | TIME: Sunday October 17 | 5:00 p.m.
SITE: Hartford Volleyball Gym (West Hartford, Connecticut)
LIVE STATISTICS: Handgun Statistics
DIRECT: East America TV
TWITTER: @HartfordWVB | #FlyHigh | #AEVB
HARTFORD QUICK HATS
- Hartford split two road games last weekend, falling to UAlbany in straight sets on Friday before rallying to a 3-1 win at Binghamton on Sunday
- After back-to-back doubles – totaling 29 kills and 30 recoveries – rookie Cambryn Luginbuhl is one of the league’s main offensive threats.
- Hailing from Tolland, Connecticut, she leads East America in eliminations (246), eliminations per set (4.03), points (271) and points per set (4.44)
- Senior Valérie Dide, who has recorded a career-high seven blocks twice this season, leads the defense and is seventh in the conference with 0.87 blocks per set
- Her presence has been felt even more since the start of the league, where she pushed that number to 1.19 blocks per set.
- Senior Alex Lucero has proven to be a mainstay on the Hartford line in conference games as she leads all players with 5.63 digs per game
- The Hawks came back from a 1-0 deficit to defeat Binghamton, 3-1, last Sunday in Vestal, NY
- Luginbuhl and junior Maddie lindsay recorded double digits in kills, finishing with 19 and 10, respectively
- Diede (3 aces, 3 blocks) and Lucero (26 digs) punctuated the Hawks defensively in the victory
- The Danes face New Hampshire on Friday night before heading to West Hartford for Sunday’s game
- UAlbany enters the weekend on a three-game winning streak after beating Stony Brook (3-0), Hartford (3-0) and NJIT (3-1)
- Kelly Kamara (2.51 eliminations per set), Oren Abutbul (2.50) and Danielle Tedesco (2.25) punctuate a balanced attack from the Great Danes who ranks fourth in Eastern America with a hitting percentage from 0.177
- Tedesco recorded a record 12 kills in last Friday’s win over Hartford
- Defensively, UAlbany is averaging 2.28 blocks per set, the second largest in East America
STORY OF THE SERIES WITH UALBANY
- Hartford and UAlbany meet for second time in 10 days on Sunday
- The Great Danes improved to 41-4 in the all-time series after scoring a 3-0 victory when they last met on October 8.
- UAlbany has a 23-game winning streak dating back to 2010
KILLA CAM LUGINBUHL
- Luginbuhl has been one of the league’s best newcomers this season
- She racked up five America East Weekly Awards this season
- A four-time America East Rookie of the Week (Aug.31, Sept.7, 14, Oct.12), she was also named the league’s player of the week on Aug.31.
- A native of Tolland, Connecticut, she became the first player in the program’s history to begin her career by winning three consecutive Rookie of the Week awards.
- Additionally, Luginbuhl is only the second Hawk to win the honor in three consecutive weeks, joining his current teammate Lindsay.
- Luginbuhl ranks second in program history behind current teammate Maddie lindsay – eight-time Rookie of the Week 2019 recipient – for the most weekly awards earned by a Hawk freshman
- Luginbuhl leads Hartford with six double doubles, including a recent 19 kill and 14 dig effort last Sunday against Binghamton
- Second year Morgan galligan exploded onto the scene in 2021
- Hartford’s top passer, she is third in the league with 501 assists and fourth in the conference with 8.21 assists per set
- Galligan has recorded 20 or more assists in 11 games this season, most recently posting 25 assists in a lost effort to UMBC on October 3.
- She recorded a career-high 51 assists in a thrilling five-set win over Quinnipiac
ALEX THE GREAT
- Lucero enters the weekend as America East leader in set recoveries (4.90)
- A native of Plano, Texas, she led the Hawks in 13 games this season, including a career best 34 dig in a win over Quinnipiac on September 3.
- Lucero scored his 1,000th career dig against Bryant earlier this season on September 21
- His 1,087 career digs rank fifth in the program’s rally scoring era
THE Ace of HARTFORD
- Diede, who leads the Hartford defense and is seventh in the league with 0.87 against per set, has been on top of his serve game since the start of America East.
- In 16 sets, she leads the league in serving aces (10) and serving aces per set (0.63)
- The senior was impressive in last Sunday’s win over Binghamton, delivering three straight aces to open a 19-19 stalemate and propel the Hawks to victory in the third set
NEXT TO TAP
- The Hawks stay home to welcome Stony Brook on Friday (October 22)
- The first service is set for 7 p.m. from the Hartford Volleyball Gym