DALLAS, September 20, 2021 / PRNewswire / – Texas Instruments (TI) (Nasdaq: TXN) today announced that its gallium nitride (GaN) technology and C2000 â¢ real-time microcontrollers (MCUs) are combined with the electronics expertise of high efficiency power from Delta Electronics in an enterprise server power supply unit (PSU) design offering an 80% improvement in power density with 1% higher efficiency – up to 99.2 % – for data center applications, compared to enterprise server power supplies using traditional architecture. A 1% improvement equals 1 megawatt (or 800 households) in total cost of ownership savings per data center, according to Energy Innovation1.
Delta Electronics, a global leader in energy and heat management solutions and a leading supplier of AC / DC, DC / DC and DC / AC power systems for a wide range of applications including IT, electric vehicle charging, household appliances and industrial power – chose TI because of its ten-year investment in GaN technology as well as its real-time control solution with C2000 microcontrollers. TI uses innovative semiconductor manufacturing processes to manufacture GaN-on-silicon technology and integrated circuits (ICs) to help companies like Delta Electronics create differentiated applications to more efficiently power data centers around the world.
âOur passion at TI is to create a better world by making electronics more affordable through semiconductors, and our GaN technology enables a whole new world of greater efficiency and smaller, more reliable solutions,â said declared Steve lambouses, vice president of high voltage power at TI. âIn addition to technology investments, IT’s investments in in-house manufacturing will allow new technologies like GaN to scale quickly and support customers like Delta.
âDelta’s long-term goal of reducing humanity’s carbon footprint through energy-efficient products and solutions involves long-term collaboration with industry leaders such as TI on new generation technologies. GaN has crossed the threshold from future technology to immediate technology. , a viable option available today for new power system designs, âsaid Jimmy yiin, Vice President and General Manager of Power and System Business Group at Delta Electronics. “This is especially true for server power supplies, where we aim to exceed 98% efficiency and 100 W / inch.3 power density. The next few years will be exciting as GaN will revolutionize power design and architectures as we know them, allowing Delta to further consolidate its position as a leading provider of power saving solutions for power centers. data and other major applications. “
GaN Integrated ICs Offer Superior Efficiency, Power Density, and System Reliability
- In high voltage and high power industrial applications, integrated power supply solutions are better able to achieve high performance in limited board space. TI GaN Field Effect Transistors (FETs) incorporate a fast switching driver, as well as internal protection and temperature sensing.
- These integrated circuits are backed by more than 40 million hours of device reliability testing and over 5 GWh of power conversion testing, providing rigorous reliability data to help engineers who wish to consider GaN to build high-performance systems. smaller, lighter and more efficient feeds.
- When paired with TI GaN power solutions, TI C2000 real-time microcontrollers deliver benefits such as complex and time-critical processing, precision control, and software and peripheral scalability. Additionally, these MCUs fully unleash the potential of GaN-based power solutions for server power supplies by supporting different power supply design topologies and high switching frequencies to maximize the energy efficiency of the server. design.
Long-term manufacturing and investment strategy provides scalability in volumes
- The unique combination of process, package and IT circuit design techniques simplifies manufacturing and enables the company to increase GaN-on-Silicon production volume by configuring different options to meet the changing needs of telecommunications companies. , industrial and automotive.
- The GaN epitaxy and the 100% TI-owned assembly / test footprint allow the company to manage tool redundancies as needed.
- TI’s long-term investment and flexible manufacturing strategy will enable the company to become one of the leading providers of GaN and MCUs in real time, as market demand increases and the trend continues. to smaller systems supporting more data.
TI and Delta Electronics will co-present an “Industry Insight” – “The Impact of GaN Technology and What It May Mean for Future Industrial Designs” – during the TI Live! Tech Exchange virtual event, Sep 27-29, 2021. During the event, TI experts will discuss power management, automotive, real-time control, vision detection and design trends in a series of lectures, tables rounds, technical sessions and demonstrations. Learn more at ti.com/techexchange.
For more information, see TI.com/gan.
1 Energy innovation, “How much energy do data centers really use?”, March 17, 2020.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (Nasdaq: TXN) is a global semiconductor company that designs, manufactures, tests and sells analog and on-board processing chips for markets such as industrial, automotive, personal electronics, communication equipment and business systems. Our passion to create a better world by making electronics more affordable through semiconductors is alive today, as each generation of innovation builds on the latest to make our technology smaller, more efficient, more reliable and more affordable – allowing semiconductors to enter electronics everywhere. We see this as technical progress. This is what we have been doing and doing for decades. Learn more at TI.com.
C2000 is a registered trademark of Texas Instruments. All trademarks and other marks are the property of their respective owners.
View original content to download multimedia: https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ti-brings-the-power-of-gan-technology-to-delta-electronics-energy-efficient-server-power -supplies-for-data-centers-301379998.html