Veterans Day is Thursday, November 11. Here is a list of upcoming events to commemorate Veterans Day and honor service members and veterans:
• Berkley American Legion Station 374 Stanley J. Fons is hosting a Veterans Memorial Ceremony at 11 a.m. on November 11 at the Berkley War Memorial, just outside Town Hall, at 3338 Coolidge Hwy., Berkley.
• Birmingham Veterans Day ceremonies will be co-hosted by the Piety Hill Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the City of Birmingham at 11 a.m. on November 11 at the Civil War and WWII monuments in Shain Park, opposite Birmingham Town Hall. The guest speaker will be Vietnam Veteran Mike Schloff. The program will include a DAR wreath laying ceremony with the Birmingham Police Department Honor Guard, Bonnie Brooks performing the national anthem, Frank Stasa III and Randy Oleynik are the featured bagpipers, DAR member Lynn Popa will play “Taps”. The Oakland Composite Squadron Color Guard, Civil Air Patrol will display the colors. For more information, email Regent Holly Heiss at [email protected] or Senior Vice Regent Deborah Harrington [email protected] or call 248-505-5306.
• Desert Angels will be hosting a Christmas Wrapping Party in honor of our veterans for troops serving overseas from 4 pm to 6 pm on Thursday, November 11 at Oakland County Sportsmen’s Club, 4770 Waterford Road, Clarkston. For a full list of items needed and more information, visit thedesertangel.org or call 248-736-6403.
• Farmington Groves-Walker Post 346 will host a short Veterans Day ceremony followed by a Bloody Mary buffet and burgers lunch at 11:30 am on Saturday, November 13 at 31775 Grand River Avenue. Doors open at 11 a.m. For information, dial 248-939-4910.
• The Ferndale Memorial Association is hosting its annual Veterans Day celebration at 11:00 am on November 11, at Memorial Mall, on Livernois, just south of W. Nine Mile Road, followed by a reception at the Fire Department of Ferndale, 1635 Livernois.
• The Great Lakes National Cemetery is hosting a Veterans Day ceremony honoring all who served at 11 am on November 11 at 4200 Belford Road, Holly Township. For more information, email Garth Wootten, chair of the Great Lakes National Cemetery Advisory Board at [email protected] or call 248-858-0785.
• Holly American Legion Post 149 will host the Veterans Day Service at 11 a.m. on November 11 at Lakeside Cemetery, 860 Thomas St.
• The Holly High School Orchestra and the Performing Arts Department will host a Veterans Day Tribute at 7:00 p.m. Nov. 11 in the auditorium at 6161 E. Holly Road, free .
• Holly Moose Lodge 1168 will host Veterans Brunch from 9 am to noon on Saturday, November 13 at 210 S. Broad St. Brunch is free for Veterans, $ 8 for others. Prizes will be awarded to veterans. For more information, call 248-634-5804.
• Oakland County Parks and Recreation Appreciation Days offers free entry to the park on Veterans Day, November 11, and Thanksgiving Day, November 25, with access to natural areas, trails, dog parks and all park amenities. Park hours are 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset, or as posted in the park. For information, visit Oakgov.com/parks/Pages/events.aspx.
• Oakland Community College Student Veterans will host a Virtual Veterans Career Resources Workshop from 4:30 pm to 5:30 pm on Tuesday, November 9 via Zoom. Register on bit.ly/3mEGquQ. For more information, email Jeff Arnold [email protected] or call 248-232-4337.
• On the Border restaurants salute veterans with a free Pick 2 combo at On The Border on November 11. For more information visit ontheborder.com.
• For more restaurant and retail discounts for veterans and serving military members on Veterans Day, visit blogs.va.gov/VAntage/965301/veterans-day-2021-discounts, Where military.com/veterans-day/restaurants-veterans-day-military-discounts.html.
• The Orion Veterans Day Ceremony will be held on November 11 at 7 pm at the Kensington Community Church, 4640 S. Lapeer Road, Lake Orion. For more information, call 248-834-3180.
• Ortonville VFW Post 582 will host the 2nd Annual 3-Mile Backpack Walk at 8:00 am on Saturday, November 13 at Bearss Fitness, 4 Ortonville Road. This event will raise funds for the position to help veteran families in need during the upcoming vacation. To register, get involved and donate, or for more information, call Josh at 248-410-3345.
• The Department of Veterans Affairs at Lake Point Community Church will be hosting a free “Veterans Appreciation Dinner” at 6:15 pm on Friday November 12 at 1550 W. Drahner Road, Oxford. The guest speaker will be Vietnam Veteran John Todd, Professor Emeritus of Law at Rochester College. Tickets required, places are limited. Each veteran receives a ticket and a guest ticket. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. Register in advance at bit.ly/LPCCVET. Tickets at the church office or for more information call 248-417-2451.
• Miracle Quilts for Our Wounded Troops to host a 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. sewing event on Saturday, November 13 at Independence Village, 510 Market Street. Bring basic sewing supplies. Participants can work on their own project or view one of the available quilt kits. For information, call Carole 248-321-8669.
• Pontiac VFW Post 1370 will host the Marine Corps 246th anniversary celebration and fundraiser at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 10 at 800 Cesar Chavez Avenue. For more information, call 248-821-9203.
• Pontiac VFW Post 1370 will host a free Veterans Resource Fair from 9 am to noon on Thursday, November 18 at 800 Cesar Chavez Avenue. Representatives will be on hand to serve all Veterans, Active Services, Guards and Reserves, and their families, with resources including free non-perishable food boxes. The Michigan Veterans Agency will be offering $ 100 Meijer gift cards while supplies last. Oakland County Veterans Services provides information and assistance with claims regarding benefits available to veterans and their dependents. Registration required at AdvantageOakland.eventbrite.com. For more information, email Modesto De La O at [email protected] or call 248-821-9203.
• Oakland University Veterans Week runs November 8-11. Join fellow veterans, community members, students and campus staff for events designed to inspire, support and commemorate those who have served. All events are free and take place at various locations on campus. For more information call 248-370-2010 or email [email protected] or visit Oakland.edu/veterans.
• The American Legion Auxiliary Station 172 in Rochester will be hosting a free Veterans Day breakfast from 7 am to 9 am on November 11 at Rochester Community House, 816 Ludlow St., Rochester. Veterans and the public are invited. For more information, call Terri Williams at 248-651-8137.
• Club 54 will be hosting A Special Salute to Our Veterans USO Show from 5 pm to 8 pm on November 11 at Club 54, 37722 Van Dyke Avenue, Sterling Heights. Everyone is welcome to attend this free public event produced by The Purple Clover Supporting Our Troops and Veterans. No ticket needed. For more information, call Cathy Odisho 586-604-2562.
• A Veterans Day ceremony is held on November 11 at 11 am in front of Troy Town Hall, Veterans Square, 500 W Big Beaver, Troy. For more information call 248-524-1147 or visit troymi.gov.
• White Chapel Memorial Park cemetery in Troy will display over 400 American flags on the cemetery grounds, 621 W. Long Lake Road, Troy, weather permitting. whitechapelcemetery.com.
• The Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation is offering all active duty military personnel, veterans and their families free admission on Veterans Day from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Nov. 11 at 20900 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn . Show military ID at the Visitor Center or call 313-982-6001 to redeem free tickets in advance. Limit of six guests per group. Tickets available on a first come, first served basis, thehenryford.org/current-events/calendar/veterans-day.
The Oakland Press is interested in all of Oakland County Veteran’s events. Please send the information in the body of an email with the subject line “Veterans” to Sharon Longman at [email protected]